Few Facts About Planet Mercury
- This planet has always been linked by mythology to the signs of Gemini and Virgo and has always symbolized “the one who carries the messages of the Gods”, depicted as a boy with shoes and a helmet with wings, which allow him to move at the speed of thought, carrying the orders of divinity. He protected the thieves, but also those who worked with communication and were invoked for good new rapids.
- Planet Mercury is the closest to the Sun and is difficult to observe because it is always low on the horizon at evening or morning twilight
- It is a small rocky planet with a diameter less than half that of the Earth and has a surface similar to that of the Moon.
- There is neither water nor atmosphere, during the day its surface is burned by the intensity of sunlight, while at night the temperature drops below freezing.
- Of the five planets visible to the naked eye, Planet Mercury is the most difficult to observe since it is always close to the Sun, and in general, binoculars are needed to locate it, the best time to observe it is when it is at the maximum angular distance from our star.
Sometimes it can be observed as it passes in front of the solar disk, a phenomenon called a transit.
- The surface temperature, at the height of the equator, during the day is about 450 ° C, in the period of maximum approach to the Sun, however, some areas in the shade, inside the craters near the poles, could remain perpetually at temperatures below 0 ° C, while at night the surface temperature drops to -180 ° C.
- It appears similar to the Moon, since the rocky surfaces of both bodies are extensively cratered by the impact of meteorites, and the diameter of Mercury is only 40% greater than that of the Moon.
- One difference between the two is that Planet Mercury has mountain ranges up to 3km high that stretch for hundreds of kilometers, probably formed as a result of the planet’s shrinking and wrinkling during its cooling phase.
- It is thought that inside it there is a large iron core extended for three-quarters of the diameter: as on the Moon, the most recently formed craters are bright and surrounded by branched structures of material ejected as a result of meteoric impacts.
- Between the main circles are more ancient and uniform areas called inter-crater plains dotted with small craters.
- The structures excavated by the debris thrown during the most violent impacts are closer to the major craters than they are on the Moon because a greater gravity acts on the planet.
- On its surface, there is an extensive lowland, the Caloris Basin, which recalls the lunar seas, while no craters of volcanic origin are known.
The Symbol Of Mercury Planet
In astrology the symbol that identifies the planet Mercury planet is a sign that derives from alchemy. The symbol of Mercury Planet is composed of a half moon. The half mood opens upwards indicating a sign of receptivity reminiscent of the moon. These attributes are entirely in line with the characteristics of Mercury Planet and its personality.
Hence it is the planet of openness, new ideas, quick messages, and intelligence. On the astrological level, Mercury governs the sign of Gemini, usually indicating tremendous thinkers and skillful inventors, connecting to the sign of the half moon which also suggests the importance of free thought. The sign of Gemini is the main zodiacal sign, followed by the sign of the Virgo, a sign of earth that makes the ideas derived from the planet Mercury factual.
Planet Mercurial Symbol
Free thoughts pass through the half moon and arrives in the belly of the Mercurial symbol where we find a perfect circle. At this point ideas pass a gestation period as if they were in the womb. The circle is a universal symbol for the Earth as well as that of the Sun, tells us to express rational, logical or accurate concepts.
At this point comes in the sign of the Virgo. The sign of Virgo is more in tune with the Earth Element and therefore skilled personalized ideas that have been born from the detailed part of Mercury. Without the sign of the Virgo, the thoughts could not be realized. They would remain only the whispering of the mind. The symbol of Mercury ends with the cross with the same arms or an equilateral cross. This indicates that thoughts have revealed themselves in the material world.
The Classical Mythology
Looking in classical mythology, we can find clues on the personality such as in the symbology. This is linked to ancient Rome with the god Hermes. In Greek, we can find the symbol of the Caduceus with the winged helmet or the winged sandals. In the same god, we find traits of balance and wisdom, movement or travel and creative flexibility.
Mercury is also known as a god of thieves. Therefore, given the hand skill and speed that they must possess for their “job”. This leads to thinking that the proverb merchant thief is not an invention of today. Mercury is also known to be the planes messengers. It was said that by acting between humans and the Gods carrying their requests and messages, in both directions.
According to them, the message should fly fast and for this, its represented with sandals and wing element indicating the speed of knowledge. Mercury is not only rapid in ancient mythology but it turns out to be also in reality, being the planet closest to the Sun, it has a short revolution time.